Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Holloween Red Ale - Oct 31,2010

On a recent trip to a homebrew shop, I picked up a vial of WhiteLabs East Coast Ale Yeast. Well I didnt get to use it as soon as I would have liked, and It was closing in on it good by date, so I needed to use it up.

I had some Liwuid extract and some hops in the cupboard, so I said what the hell, Ill see what I can come up with. This is the recipe I made up.

3.3 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat LME
3.3 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Malto-Dextrine

1 oz Hallertau hops at 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings at 15 minutes

Irish moss added at 15 minutes.

48 hours before brewing I created a 1.5 liter starter with the East Coast Ale Yeast.

The rest of my brewing went the same as before, brew outside on Gas Burner, cool wort, pitch yeast, take down to basement.

It is currently 66-68 degrees downstairs.

The airlock was happily bubbling away after 8 hours.

This beer was in the primary for a month, the first time I have left anything that long. I am hoping I get my kegging setup for christmas, so Im holding this one in secondary for a month or more and it will be my first one in the keg. If I dont get the kegging system then Ill just bottle it during the christmas break.

No comments:

Post a Comment