Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Munich Madness Bock - Feb 12, 2011

Well last year I bought a chest freezer and a temp controler so that I could do a lager and I am finally getting around to do it. I had some breiss munich extract I was looking to use up and so I check around the internet and found this recipe, which is actually on the briess website.

Munich Madness Bock

Recipe for 5 US gallons (19L)
Description: Steeping caramel and chocolate malts adds just the right touch of deep flavor to this rich and malty
traditional German lager.

Quantity Ingredients Comment
6.6 lbs Briess CBW® Munich LME
1.5 lbs Briess CBW® Pilsen DME
1 lb Briess Caramel Malt 90L
2 oz Briess Dark Chocolate Malt
1 oz Hallertau Pelletized Hops 45 min boil time
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 vial WLP833 German Bock

Brewing Procedures:
1. Steep grain in 5 gallons 150-180®F water for 30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat.
3. Add CBW® Munich LME and Briess CBW Pilsen DME.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Add hops and boil for 30 minutes.
6. Add Irish Moss & boil for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from heat.
8. Cool, oxygenate wort and pitch yeast.

Fermentation:
Primary: 3 weeks at 55ºF
Secondary: 4 weeks at 35ºF
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.018
Alcohol by vol: 6.6%
IBU: 24
Color: 41º L


I Actually used the White labs Southern german lager yeast which is WLP838 instead, but it still should fit the style well.

This is the biggest beer I have done to date, and should come in at around 6.5 percent abv. Being that it was a big beer and a cold ferment I knew I was going to need alot of yeast. Starting about 6 days before brew day, I steped up a starter every couple of days until brew day. I still wasnt totally convinced I had enough, so I tossed one extra vial in.

Well something had to have gone right with the yeast because it was bubbling away before I went to bed that night.

Im watching the ferment and plan to do a diacetyl rest when I see the fermentation start to slow down. Then its into the fridge at 35 degrees for the next 6 months as I dont plan on cracking one until my birthday in july.

The timing on this one was good, because I am planing on brewing an oktoberfest this year and I will be able to use the cake on this one for that brew, so no starter needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment